Wednesday, April 15, 2009

WORTH IN A HIGH-SPEED WORLD

I saw an advertisement the other day. I really loved the ad. It's about how the present generation is impatient, how it cannot wait for the next thing and how much it hates to wait. It thought, 'Wow, this is so our generation, so much enthusiasm, so much spunk, so much creative energy.' It actually gave me goosebumps when I saw it for the first time. Then, I was chatting with this friend of mine and I told her about the ad Ihad seen and how much I loved it. Her reply, however, surprised me. She said 'I found it kind of demeaning'..... It really got me thinking 'What is this present generation really about? Why did she find it demeaning?' And then, I discovered something I had totally forgotten - worth.

The present generation is dynamic, moreso than any other generation preceding it. It wants stimulation, in any form possible. And anything new is eagerly accepted but readily discarded for the next best thing. In a world where new opportunities spring up everywhere and possibilities are limitless, it is easy to think that there will always be something else, of same or better value. No doubt, there are. Flitting from one thing to another seems like a really good life - enjoying the best of each one experience, yet not commiting oneself to onething so soon. This is the mantra of the new generation - have as mush experience as possible, try out everything first, never stick to one thing, expand your horizon, broaden your skills or social circle.

I don't mean to criticize this point. In fact, I think that it is a very good philosophy, to be able to broaden your views, thoughts and knowledge. That's where new art, music and literature come to be discovered. Yet, one important ingredient this generation seems to be lacking is value - good, old-fasioned value. I am not talking of values in terms of morals, but value in terms of reliability and worth, something which our parents have an abundance of, sometimes a little too much of, yet something which this present generation seems to be lacking in. It doesn't matter how versatile or attractive something is - if it lacks worth, it becomes useless after a while. Because even though there are new and even newer trends coming into existence, it is those things which have worth that eventually survive. And that worth is what anyone and everyone looks for, in the end.

A little goes a long way, but too little gets you nowhere. A little value, a little worth, a little experience and a little stability will get the new generation a very long way.

2 comments:

  1. hmm.. the lines of the last paragraph says it all!! Thats the point to be considered and pondered upon... buddy..nice observation!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Moia,
    Im Merlin Samuel from Canada.. Im just curious to know if you are the Moia I know who studied with me at the Ebenezer school in Chennai. Now if you are not, then, do you know any other Moia who did? Im just trying to trace my schoolmates and I stumbled on ur blog.. ur blog is intersting too.. Keep it goin.. The problem with my search is that I have NO clue of my friends last names. I have a lot of friends that I studied with in Chennai.. I only remember two of their last names.. One guy is Samuel Lalfakzuala and the other is Lalthampari (now I dont know if this is a first name).
    BUT Please let me know if u have any friends who did study in Chennai at a school called "Ebenezer Matriculation Higher Secondary School"..
    The first Names if my friends are Samuel(great boxer), Dennis (fantastic guitarist and singer), Moia (very calm and silent guy), Donnie (very peppy girl) and Pari (was on the heavier side when we were in college).
    Im gonna keep on searchin! and u keep the blogs goin dude! Take it easy!
    You can Email me at merlinsarah@gmail.com
    Thankyou buddy!
    Merlin

    ReplyDelete